- JewishGen will remain faithful to the idea that all JewishGen records will remain free, and freely accessible.
- This agreement was necessary to ensure that JewishGen is technologically stable, and able to provide a stable and robust user experience.
- The improved functionality of JewishGen (as a result of this agreement) will allow JewishGen to not only acquire more data, but to make it available more quickly to the Jewish public.
- Our driving force is to serve the public (which will never change).
While this deal will not “pay the bills” it will allow us to focus our attention on JewishGen projects (instead of investing a significant amount of time to technical infrastructure), which will (hopefully) encourage more people to donate to our worthy cause.
In the end, Dr. Marwell explained his belief that this deal represents a Win/Win/Win situation for all. It is a win for JewishGen, a win for Ancestry, and most importantly, it is a win for the incredibly dedicated volunteers and people who comprise the Jewish genealogical community. Specifically:
- JewishGen remains an independent 501 (c) 3 organization that remain reliant on the generosity of its donors
- JewishGen will retain its management structure and continue to rely on volunteer for their effort and contributions, in both time and funds.
- JewishGen will continue to provide the Jewish genealogical community with unique tools that will not be found on any other website, and will continue to host other organizations such as JRI-Poland, Litvak SIG and others.
- All data will remain free and freely accessible on JewishGen and Ancestry
- Ancestry will provide us with a much needed service.