We are pleased to announce that JewishGen.org, the premier resource for Jewish genealogy, and Ancestry.com, the largest online resource for family history information, have entered into a cooperative agreement.
Further details will be forthcoming and you will all have the opportunity to express your opinions. Questions and concerns will be addressed tonight at the JewishGen session, and also right here on the blog, where we will all be able to discuss the significance of this new agreement.
In the meantime, please read this brief fact sheet that offers the basic details of this new and exciting agreement.
Terms of the agreement:
- JewishGen will make some of its databases available on the Ancestry website.
- Ancestry will provide hardware and network support for the JewishGen website.
Benefits of the agreement:
- JewishGen will be able to provide more robust and functional resources to genealogists throughout the world.
- Specific and immediate improvements will be seen in the speed of the website, along with greater accessibility when searching databases.
- More people will be exposed to Jewish genealogy and have access to a greater range of resources to assist in researching family history.
- JewishGen’s comprehensive records and information, contributed by volunteers from around the world, will continue to remain freely available on JewishGen.org.
Details of the agreement:
- JewishGen remains an independent non-profit organization, affiliated with the Musuem of Jewish Heritage – A Living Memorial to the Holocaust.
- There will be no change to the JewishGen management team, structure or affiliation with the museum.
- This new agreement, combined with the generosity of our donors throughout the world, will allow us to continue offering all of JewishGen’s extensive resources for no charge.
- Privacy of personal information for JewishGen users is of key importance to us.
- Information about JewishGen registrants will not be shared.
- Personal information stored on JewishGen, such as data entered into the JGFF and Family Tree of the Jewish People, will not be shared.
- JewishGen will continue to independently administer the JewishGen website, mailing lists and affiliates.