Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Sarina Roffé Elected to JewishGen Board of Governors

The Board of Governors of JewishGen is pleased to announce that Sarina Roffé, a respected family historian and journalist, has been elected unanimously to a position on its Board.

Ms. Roffé is a member of Brooklyn's Syrian Jewish community and an active member of the Jewish Genealogical Society, Inc. (of New York) (JGSNY). She has published widely on themes connected with
Sephardic and Mizrahi Jewish genealogy and is a recognized authority on the history and culture of Aleppan Jewry. Ms. Roffé is the Executive Director of the Shehebar Sephardic Center in New York, NY, a nonprofit organization that fundraises for its rabbinical training program in Israel, and support for schools and outreach centers in more than sixty cities worldwide.


Following her election, Rand Fishbein, Ph.D., a member of the Board's search committee, commented, "The Board could not be more delighted to welcome Sarina onto the JewishGen team. We will be looking to her for fresh ideas on how to expand our programming and online resources in Sephardic genealogy. Her knowledge and experience are sure to prove invaluable as we look to expand our outreach activities."

Rand Fishbein, JewishGen Board of Governors
Karen Franklin, Co-Chair, JewishGen Board of Governors

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarina:

    I just found your fascinating article on the Jews of Barcelona and Gerona.

    I believe that my ancestors emigrated from Spain to Chmelnik, Poland but I have not been able to find any direct evidence. I read that the 40 original families that settled in that town were Sephardic Jews. They had left Spain because of the Inquisition.

    If you have any information on this would establish a direct link or would point me the direction that would help me trace my ancestry I would greatly appreciate it. By coincidence, I won an Art Traveling Fellowship and lived in Barcelona in 1985. I felt strongly connected to the city though I did not know why.

    Recently I found a whole branch of my family that has been "lost" for many years. Here is the link to the article regarding my family story that was written in the Jewish Weekly of San Francisco:

    http://www.jweekly.com/article/full/62838/century-old-candlesticks-rekindle-cousins-connection/

    Thanks--looking forward to hearing from you.

    Rene Bien

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Please post responsibly.